- Smokeless tobacco is NOT a safe alternative to smoking.
- A person who dips or chews 8-10 times per day receives the same amount of nicotine as a person who smokes 30-40 cigarettes
- One can of smokeless tobacco has as much nicotine as 4 packs of cigarettes.
- Smokeless tobacco users are up to 50 times more likely to get oral cancer than non-users.
- Only 56% of people with mouth or throat cancer live more than 5 years beyond the time of their diagnosis.
- Of the 3,000 chemicals in smokeless tobacco, 28 (ex. cyanide, lead, and formaldehyde) are know to cause cancer.
- Smokeless tobacco causes cancer of the mouth, tongue, throat, heart disease, and stoke.
- Tobacco use also causes tooth abrasion, tooth and gum disease, yellowing of the teeth, and chronic bad breath.